With work and family commitments, finding the time to cook a delicious and hearty meal can be difficult. With so much to prepare, cookware to be cleaned and ingredients to buy, many will simply stick to the easy options. However, so many people are unaware of the options available to them. This is the perfect one pan meal that will suit the whole family.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 red pepper, de–seeded and chopped into small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 750g (1 ½ pounds) fine minced beef
- 2 x 400g cans plum tomatoes, chopped with their juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 rounded teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 rounded teaspoons dried parsley
- 375ml (1 ½ cups) hot brown stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 225g (2 ¼ cups) easy cook dried fusilli pasta
Heat the oil in the stir–fry pan over a medium setting. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic, cook for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Raise the heat a little and add the minced beef. Fry briskly until the meat is evenly browned. Drain off any excess fat.
Stir in the chopped tomatoes with their juice, the tomato purée, dried herbs and 250ml (1 cup) of the stock. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with the lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
Stir in the fusilli with the remaining 125ml (1/2 cup) of hot stock. Cover and cook for 8 – 10 minutes or until the fusilli is “al dente”. Stir once during this time to ensure the fusilli cooks evenly.
Serve with a mixed leaf salad and some hunks of crusty wholemeal bread. A little freshly grated parmesan can be sprinkled over the top of each portion.